3 February 2017
It's National Carrot Cake Day today so here's one of our favourite recipes if you fancy giving it a try at home...
For the Sponge
- 175g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp each ground cloves and nutmeg
- 200g light soft brown sugar
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 2 large eggs
- 150-200g grated carrot (about three smallish ones)
- 75g chopped walnuts or pecans
For the icing
- 200g soft cream cheese, either full or low-fat
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g icing sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus 2 tsp juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan-assisted 160C)/350F/gas mark 4,
and line two 20cm round sponge tins with nonstick baking
- Mix the flour, baking powder and spices in a bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the soft brown sugar with the oil
and beat with the eggs until smooth. Stir in the carrots and
walnuts, then fold through the sifted dry ingredients.
- Divide the cake mix between the tins and bake for about 25
minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin.
- Beat the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar, zest and juice
- Sandwich the layers with a third of this and spread the rest
over the top and sides.